[lug] debian sarge has gone stable

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Fri Jun 10 16:51:32 MDT 2005

I'm coming in late on this thread, so please excuse irrelevant comments.
But...
In Debian, all distributions have code names: e.g. potato, woody, sarge.
Distributions also have what I call a status, which is stable, testing,
unstable, experimental, etc.
You can choose what distribution you track either by name or by status
within the apt-get system. Most Debian developers track by status
because they are concerned with bringing new and wonderful things into
Debian and making them work. Most users (all?) should track by name.
Doing so gives them much more control over how Debian messes with
their life. For example, if you had been tracking Sarge in May, the
release of a 'stable' version of Sarge on June6 was, for you, a non-
event. You were still tracking Sarge, but now you could relax somewhat
because there will be far fewer new versions of packages which may,
or may not, break your system.
But if you have been tracking the status 'testing', June 6 was a big
deal, because suddenly all sorts of things that have been on hold
like new versions of gnome, kde, and Xwindows are now released into
the update stream and you now have to be on the lookout for them.

If you are not interested in daily surprises, you should not be tracking
testing now. If you love new surprises, you should be tracking testing
now.

For myself, I have been running Sarge. My life has been uneventful.
Soon, Etch will start having new stuff that is not
available in Sarge. Some time later, the new stuff in Etch will start
working reasonably well. Still later, the stuff in Sarge will start
looking really old. I'll switch some of my machines to tracking
Etch when I guess that the hassles of fixing breakage from new
buggy packages is acceptable.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net