[lug] another quasi-debian problem: fvwm

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jun 13 10:57:31 MDT 2005

Another quasi-debian problem....

I made a minor upgrade of FVWM, from 2.4 to 2.5.

It totally blew off the old configuration information.  We're
talking "should have new major number" level of changes in the
configuration files.  Naturally there doesn't appear to be a
migration document in the Debian package.

How bad was it?  My 4x3 desktop went to 1x1.  I couldn't close
windows, or even minimize them, because all of the decorations
went away.  The sample configuration file was totally unusable -
maybe the author can read dark grey text on a black background,
but I can't.

I found some documentation and made a little progress (emphasis on
little), but it was soon clear that I could spend a day fixing
this mess.  For that much investment it's time to reevaluate other
window managers.