[lug] debian sarge has gone stable

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Jun 14 07:08:31 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 17:21 -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
> > Hugh Brown wrote:
> >
> >> Slashdot just announced that sarge went stable.  So how do I switch from
> >> the testing sarge to the stable sarge?  Is it as simple as changing all
> >> the instances of testing in /etc/apt/sources.list to stable?
> >
> > Just change them all to "sarge".  Much safer/easier, and you won't
> > accidentally be "upgraded" to the new testing.
>
> Or just leave them all as "testing" and you won't start falling
> behind--things will continue to upgrade frequently as you're used to.
>
> If you've been running testing, why do you want to switch to stable?
>
> Dave

Because the font system gets a bit wacky periodically and to get a
stable environment that isn't aged.  When I made the switch to Debian
about a year ago, woody was just too old.  Now that sarge has gone
stable, I'll probably use it for a year or so and then look at upgrading
to etch.  We'll see how it all pans out though.

Hugh