[lug] A .forward standoff

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Tue Jun 14 15:30:38 MDT 2005

OK, I'm kind of ashamed that I didn't know the answer to a question a
friend posed me.  It seems like something I should know, but I never
thought about it.  I also couldn't find the answer on Google, but that's
probably due to noise on my searches.

Namely, say you have two mailservers, A and B. In A, you have a .forward
pointing to B, and in B a .forward to A.  What occurs when you send mail
to one?

I'm sure this situation has some ARPANET-era jargon/USENET name that I
don't know, and there is probably a paragraph about it in the Sendmail
doorstop that I overlooked.  Heck, maybe one of you even tried it once
to see.

Wondering away,
Matt
--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/