[lug] R00tKIT!! Raah!

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 14 19:17:17 MDT 2005

Michael Belanger wrote:
[...]
> I fear I may need to travel out there to rebuild the server... Anyone
> know if it is possible to 'clean' the system?

I wouldn't trust cleaning the system unless I had a way to verify all
the files on it.  Most of those came from packages, so if you can
compare checksums between your files and those from the official
packages (using only programs you've already verified) you might be good.

I don't know of an easy way to check files against their original
packages, nor would it be easy to verify all the non-package files you
have.  So in the end I think rebuilding is a better choice (less time
for a reasonable degree of certainty you're clean).

If you do rebuild, you might think about what you can do now to make
rebuilding next time easier.

Dave