[lug] installing both MySQL 3.23 and 4.1 on fedora

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 19:38:26 MDT 2005

Does anyone know if it is possible to install both versions 3.23 and 4.1
of MySQL on Fedora? I don't want to destroy an entire installation just
to get version 4.1...only to find something that also needs 3.23. I
thought I was past the days when entire o/s's had to be replaced to run
one app. So far I've been able to rpmbuild --rebuild the mysql 4.1
source rpm's (from FC4, on FC2) without trouble, but none of the
produced rpm packages are relocateable. Going to the mysql.com site
seems to have some static linked binary packages that are precompiled to
depend on various paths. The source version requires the Intel
proprietary compiler it looks like. I really feel like going back to
PostgreSQL, but I fear giving up the project is more practical just
because whatever I go through has to be available as something simple
for other people to do, or it won't be used (telling people to erase
their current distro isn't going to be well-received).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net