[lug] R00tKIT!! Raah!

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at thirdmartini.com
Tue Jun 14 21:08:50 MDT 2005

As a general rule I run my / filesystem mounted Read-Only.  Only my data
partitions which are mounted noexec are writable.

IE:
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (ro)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (ro)
/dev/md1 on /data type ext3 (rw,noexec)

/tmp & /var are symlinked to /data/tmp and /data/var respectively

This reduces the risk of a rootkit being able to install itself.  For
extra paranoia my /dev/md0 device is a READ-ONLY mirror so a simple
remount,rw won't work.

-Sebastian