[lug] linux distro for a beginner

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Jun 15 14:47:17 MDT 2005

As I discuss what I do by day (linux sysadmin) with folks and complain
about windows periodically, I sometimes get asked which Linux distribution
I recommend for someone who wants to get started with Linux but doesn't
want to be their own sysadmin.  So far, I've been telling them to get a
Mac.

Which distribution would you recommend for someone that thinks MS is vile,
doesn't want to support them, but doesn't want to become a techie?

I use Debian and I suspect that may be a bit out there for someone just
starting out.  I've heard positive noises about Ubuntu (they'll even ship
you CDs for free).   No idea where Fedora is, though I suspect it may
change a little too often/too quickly for a home user.

Any recommendations?

Hugh