[lug] alternate install methods

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 14:55:56 MDT 2005

One of the least painful installs I've done is to load iso images on
loopback on a second machine, making them available on the LAN over
apache. I'd start the install with the cd then tell it the ISO's are at
a web address. FAST and easy.

Now I don't have the ability to do that again for lack of disk space,
and I can't do a web install to some remote mirror half way across the
USA. But the machine I want to install to does have enough disk space.
I'm wondering...is there a way...to put the ISO's on the hard drive of a
partition on a machine, and then point the install at the hard drive
images? I have not tried yet because to do this I must destroy the
existing install. If the ISO images are not mounted on loopback, can the
installer still deal with this on the local hard drive? I'm having
severe problems with cd burns so I've given up on that.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net