[lug] R00tKIT!! Raah!

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jun 16 09:00:51 MDT 2005

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Grabbing a statically-linked shell like sash for this type of event
> after booting from something like a live-CD to keep from using ANYTHING
> on the compromised system, and not running anything until all it's
> dependencies are met with known NEW libraries, etc... is usually a good
> step.

I've pre-recompiled the core tools to use static libraries.  You
don't need many packages for good coverage - under the old debian
stable I had

   bash
   binutils
   chkrootkit
   fileutils
   gawk
   grep
   net-tools
   procps
   sed
   shellutils
   tar
   tcsh
   textutils

and you're right it's a good idea to add dpkg and apt, especially
since the former is where md5sum hides.  'lsof' is another good
package to put on this list.

Bear