[lug] linux distro for a beginner

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 10:13:38 MDT 2005

>>>>> "Hugh" == Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> writes:

Hugh> Which distribution would you recommend for someone that thinks
Hugh> MS is vile, doesn't want to support them, but doesn't want to
Hugh> become a techie?

One thing I like to do is ease people into Linux by first having them
use free tools on their Windows box.  In particular, OO.o and Mozilla.
This seems to work well for casual (email and web surf) users.  Once
they're used to that the switch is less difficult, since they can
just use the same programs on Linux.

Hugh> I've heard positive noises about Ubuntu (they'll even ship
Hugh> you CDs for free).   No idea where Fedora is, though I suspect it may
Hugh> change a little too often/too quickly for a home user.

I know folks who have their parents running Fedora.  They just don't
upgrade that much.

One thing worth trying is a distro with a live CD.  Then people can
give it a spin and see if it fits their needs, their hardware, etc,
without a big commitment.

Tom