[lug] linux distro for a beginner

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Jun 16 11:47:02 MDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, David Morris wrote:

> > Hugh> Which distribution would you recommend for someone that thinks
> > Hugh> MS is vile, doesn't want to support them, but doesn't want to
> > Hugh> become a techie?
>
> I recommend Debian (http://www.debian.org).  The setup
> (revamped for the Debian 3.1 released June 6) is simple and
> easy for the most part.  I prefer debian for its absolute
> stability, sane default configurations, and easy/safe
> upgrade process.  Debian also does not do hand-holding as
> Windows does, which I like though I know some others do not.
> If you want your hand held through everything you do go with
> Mandrake or SUSE.

I don't think Debian is good for folks that don't want to be techies (i.e.
they like holding hands, they just don't like MS's hand (it's kind of
slimy and holding it makes you feel all sick inside :))

If on the other hand you don't want your hand held, Debian is fine.

What do people think of SuSEs long term prospects?

Hugh