[lug] linux distro for a beginner

Chuck Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Thu Jun 16 12:04:47 MDT 2005

There are some nice Debian based distributions that I'd even recommend for
beginnners. Ubuntu has done pretty well on most hardware I've tried it on
(laptops mostly) and has some nice tools that even beginners can like.
There's Kubuntu, which I haven't installed yet for using kde instead of
gnome. IMHO Knoppix has done the best job of detecting and using hardware,
but the installs I've done from it are just base debian and so the good
knoppix-ness doesn't carry over. It's a good way to see how folks like it
before going to the trouble of installing though.

CentOS is a nice way to get into a cheaper RedHat EL distro. I prefer it to
Fedora, but that's just my personal opinion. I prefer a slower release cycle
and I kind of think a beginning user might as well.

I think the jury's still out on SuSE. I know people who work there and wish
them well. I know they're working hard on the linux desktop, but I haven't
been all that impressed yet.