[lug] remote clients can't display on FC3/KRUD

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Jun 18 17:27:23 MDT 2005

I recently installed KRUD on a laptop and gave it the same name/IP as my
old laptop (which is now retired).  I'd like to run X clients on a
server and display on the laptop, but I can't seem to make it work.

I've run "xhost+ <remotehost>" on the laptop.
I've updated the Xauthority file on the remotehost and merged into the
laptop.
I've disabled SELinux on the laptop (it seems to get in the way for
things like this).  I also disabled the firewall on the laptop (I enable
it manually when I use the laptop on public wireless nets).
I run "xterm -display laptop:0" but the connection is refused.

I updated the Xauthority file like so:

On the server:
   xauth add <laptop IP>:0 . `mcookie`

On the laptop:
   ssh <remote server> /path/to/xauth extract - <laptop IP>:0 | xauth
merge -

When I run xterm on the remote host, I just get "Can't open display:".
Running strace on it I see that it gets "connection refused."  There
must be some other security mechanism I've not enabled or disabled.  Or
else the remote host thinks this is the old laptop and the new laptop
doesn't authorize correctly because of that.

Anyone have any ideas?
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com