[lug] remote clients can't display on FC3/KRUD

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 11:34:31 MDT 2005

rm at fabula.de wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:45:00PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 18:19 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>>
>>>By default the X11 servers accept only UDP connections...remote machines
>>>use TCP. You have to turn on the TCP option in
>>>/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
>>>There is a line there, DisallowTCP=true. Kind of misleading, as not
>>>having this parameter still disallows TCP. Change it to DisallowTCP=false.
>>
>>That's the ticket.  Thanks D. I can now run GIMP on the server and
>>display it on the laptop to continue working on my next book.
>>Woohoo!  :-)
>

> Just a small correction: once tcp/ip connections are disabled (as they are
> indeed on most security aware distros) the X server only listens on a local
> (Unix) socket (normally under /tmp/.X11-unix/....). AFAIK it's _not_ possible
> to use udp/ip for X connections.

I never said udp/ip :P, just udp. Processes using a unix socket in one
way or another are udp enabled, regardless of how the socket/file is
exposed. X11 by nature is networked...it isn't possible to run X11
without networking functionality, although protocols and socket details
are flexible.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net