[lug] linux distro for a beginner

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Jun 20 09:12:23 MDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I don't know.  It seems you pretty much have to upgrade FC every
> > 2 releases or so, depending on how the legacy project is coming along:
> >
> > http://fedoralegacy.org/
>
> I have to say that I, personally, would not want to rely on Fedora
> Legacy for updates to a system I cared about.  The project is trying
> hard, but it doesn't have the kind of resources it needs to keep several
> distributions (current RH 7.3, 9, FC 1 and 2) current, and the update
> streams simply stall for months at a time.
>
> jon

I had observed that as well.  I think their efforts are laudable, but they
seem severely understaffed.  I think the uproar over the EOL of RH9 and
precursors made people think that there would be a huge demand for
security update support (and with that demand, folks willing to pitch in).
I'm guessing that most people just migrated to something different or sat
on RH9 for a while until they decided they'd cope with the churn of
Fedora.

Hugh