[lug] alternate install methods

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 14:05:57 MDT 2005

Dean Brissinger wrote:
>>From: D. Stimits [mailto:stimits at comcast.net]
>>I'm wondering...is there a way...to put the ISO's on the hard drive of a
>>partition on a machine, and then point the install at the hard drive
>>images? I have not tried yet because to do this I must destroy the
>>existing install.
>

> I don't know about using iso's that way.  But you certainly can create a
> directory and copy all of the raw cd contents from SuSE to a local disk then
> install from that...

My finding is that once you have a disk to start the install, you can
directly use ISO's on a file, or via a web server that mounts them on
loopback (lots of people use NFS, but I hate NFS for security). FYI, I
don't use SuSE.

> Why don't you just get a dvd drive and install from DVD or CD though?

If you're volunteering to buy it, sure! :P My primary problem is cash,
my secondary problem is that the case is arranged such that I have to
unplug one IDE device for the cable to reach another. I once tried one
of those cables that exceeds specs for max length...it failed, I took it
back, tried another...it failed again. I gave up on cables that that
exceed length standards. I don't have the money to buy 5 drives to get
one that works right. Considering how well/fast network installs work
(and FAR less hassle), I doubt I will ever go back to optical media.
Good riddance.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net