[lug] Samba or other non-Microsoft PDC ON Windows?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Jun 20 16:12:45 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 16:02 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I'm using KRUD/Fedora (mostly) and Windows XP Pro on a laptop where I need to
> be able to do demos and admin script development for customers. The Windows
> version of the product I support tends to get cranky if there isn't a Primary
> Domain Controller around for it to talk to, which makes setting up a
> standalone environment a pain (especially since XP networks have a strange
> habit of coming unstuck).
>
> There isn't a WinXP server option, and I'm not sure my laptop would continue
> to function properly if it got buried under a MS server installation anyway.
> Especially when all I want or need is the PDC functionality.
>
> Has anyone heard of any PDC implementation for Windows other than Microsoft's?

Not a Linux solution, but this is really slick: use VMware to set up a
entire virtual network on your laptop.  If you have 1 GB or more RAM it
works great.  You'll also need some kind of Windows licenses for the
virtual machines, I suppose.

I've been using Windows 2003 Enterprise on my VMware sessions just
'cause I can (MSDN subscription).  It works great.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>