[lug] Cron to run every 3rd tuesday

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Tue Jun 21 07:17:03 MDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Shannon Johnston wrote:

> I have a perl script that needs to run every month, on the 3rd tuesday
> of the month. Here's my cron entry:
>
> 0  0  11-18  *  2  /usr/local/bin/script.pl
>
> For some reason, it ran this last saturday. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
> Shannon Johnston

I haven't tested it, but you might try something like

0  0  *  * 2/3 /usr/local/bin/script.pl

That would be every third tuesday, not the third tuesday of
the month. Then agian, it may mean, every 3 days, starting
on tuesday. A field with the form n0/n1 says the range n0 in
steps of n1.

I would have thought that the way you have your entry, it
would have run on the 11th through the 18th and every
tueday.

Stephen Queen