[lug] Samba or other non-Microsoft PDC ON Windows?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 21 15:00:49 MDT 2005

Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 11:05 am, David Anselmi wrote:
>
>>Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>Has anyone heard of any PDC implementation for Windows other than
> Microsoft's?
[...]
> If I was going to be on a network with access to a server, that is what I
> would do. The problem is running Windows XP demos on a standalone laptop.
> That's why I asked for alternative PDCs that would run on XP.

Ah, I didn't read closely enough.  Sorry.  The only way I've seen this
done is by running Server on the laptop (for SQL Server there used to be
a trimmed version, but not so Windows Server).  Yes, it's usually slow.

Looks like Samba hasn't been ported to cygwin (no surprise).  Zan
suggested running Windows Server in VMWare, but it would be lighter
weight to run a Samba PDC in VMWare.

Before you decide to run your app on a PDC, make sure it will accept
that.  Sometimes apps don't like PDCs, or want to be across the network
from one.  VMWare could address that too.

Dave