[lug] Local phone service with Comcast--any experience?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Jun 22 18:05:54 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 05:49:06PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Oh yeah... someone else mentioned the WRT54G... maybe that plus a
> standard Vonage box would be more flexible.  I saw some posts around
> that said Linksys is messing with the hardware and there are now (once
> again) multiple versions of the device... all named WRT54G.  Why *do*
> they do that?!  Sigh...

There are currently 4 versions of the WRT54G, each with different chipsets,
some that are broken enough that they should have all been recalled
(specifically, the ones you can get in stores).  Linksys has been about as
forthright about this issue as a Baby Bell.  I have 6 of the version 2.0 that
I got off Ebay, all running OpenWRT, and they're awesome.  If you know Linux
at the iptables and tc level, OpenWRT blows away anything else you could set
up for VoIP.