[lug] Local phone service with Comcast--any experience?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Jun 22 18:40:27 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:18:29PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Daniel> There are currently 4 versions of the WRT54G, each with
> Daniel> different chipsets, some that are broken enough that they
> Daniel> should have all been recalled (specifically, the ones you can
>
> Oh? how so?
>
> The 3.0 and 4.0 versions just came out recently...

I stand corrected, then, there are 5 versions with 5 different chipsets.

> according to http://openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
>
> They are listed as "experimental" and "untested", but I haven't seen
> anything about them being so broken they should be recalled... cite?

Thanks to the ephemeral nature of web-based message boards (we hates them,
precious, yes we do), I don't have a link to give you.  I'm basing that claim
on several hours reading messages on linksysinfo.org and dslreports.  Search
the BLUG archive for my previous posts if you want to dig them up.  Someone
else here has the 2.2 version with no problems, but some significant number of
2.2 and 3.0 users experience consistent hardware lockup with files over 30
megs or so.  Linksys released a new firmware that seems to be over or
underclocking to get around the problem.  Needless to say, if you need to
change the clock speed to keep a computer from locking, you've got serious
problems.  I haven't kept up to know if the 4.0 version is any good, because
I've had no reason to go looking for routers, mine work perfectly.  That's no
small feat; I've tried wireless gear from every major brand, and never found a
model except the WRT54G 2.0 that doesn't lock up within a week or have some
other blatant problem.  I've spending many, many hours working with this stuff
in real-world setups, and I can tell you with certainty that 99% of consumer
wireless gear is total crap.