[lug] Local phone service with Comcast--any experience?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Jun 22 19:05:08 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:40:27PM -0600, Daniel Webb wrote:

> I've spending many, many hours working with this stuff
> in real-world setups, and I can tell you with certainty that 99% of consumer
> wireless gear is total crap.

(replying to myself)

I was too harsh.  I have used or have seriously researched about 20-25 models
and submodels of wireless gear, and 2 have been acceptable: the Linksys WRT54G
2.0 and the Dlink DWL-810 (not the + submodel).  The DWL-810s have kept an
outdoor link between two houses (150 feet) for 2 years now without problems.
I have personally tried another 8 submodels of various vendors, and they were
all junk.  Ironically, the AP version of the DWL-810 is so bad that you can't
even set it up without Internet Explorer, because the javascript is so broken.

So change that to say it's 90% crap.