[lug] IPcop / Smoothwall log help

Matt James matuse at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 10:33:59 MDT 2005

BLUG,
     Not being a Linux security expert I was hoping that some one in
this group might be able to help out a newbie.  I have been playing
with both IPcop and Smoothwall distributions of linux based firewalls.
They work GREAT by the way.  The issue I'm having is that the log files
are a bit cryptic.  I get some of what it's trying to tell me but my
eye is really not trained enough to know what is an attack and what is
a legitimate google crawler.  I'm looking for some one(s) that would be
willing to sit down with me for a hour or so and teach me a little bit
about what this thing spews out of the log.  I know you guys have
meetings and so forth so maybe it's best that I come to one of those.
Another possibility is online documentation on this sort of thing - but
I'm not quite sure where to look without chasing my tail for hours.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Matt