[lug] QT 4 is out

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Tue Jun 28 19:13:08 MDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 2:46 PM, D. Stimits wrote:

> You can already do that with Qt 3, widely available. I'm finding it
> easy to work with...do you have a URL for a screenshot of your java
> frontend? I imagine it'll take quite a while before version 4 is
> *widely* available on linux.

Qt 3 was free on Windows?  I must not have been paying attention.

I don't have a link to give.  What I have is very preliminary (as in,
I've been doing it for about two days).  The command line solver is
in C, and I more or less gave up on writing an interface for it, as
it was more trouble that it was worth.  So I just dumped big tables
of data to a file from the command line, and used Mathematica to
analyze the data (I did this for a talk I gave in Greeley at the MAA
conference in April).  The end result of that is that C is *WAY*
faster than my own, hand-written Mathematica programs, which wasn't
surprising.  But it is also a bit faster than the built in
Mathematica numerical DE solver, which was surprising.

But now I am graduated, and am trying to brush up on my programming
skills so that I might be able to find a job.  So I started porting
it to Java and giving it a GUI, so I can have some more applications
to point at if I can actually get an interview.

I need the Java practice, as the Java jobs seem to outnumber the C/C+
+ jobs.  But I want to brush up on all of them, so I'll be trying QT
I think, also.

Tim