[lug] Gnome Terminal Dynamically-set title problem

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 30 19:45:00 MDT 2005

HI,

I have recently decided to give gnome a try because many of my daily apps are
based on gtk rather than qt.  Most of my work, however, is done through
terminal sessions.  And this is where the gnome terminal has a very nice
feature:

You can configure it in the Edit Profile -> Title and Command tab to
"Dynamically-set title:".  However, this only works for me when I ssh into a
very old SuSE Linux machine.  Any of the newer machines must not return the
proper status to the shell because my title update fails.

So far my google searches remained fruitless.  Any ideas what I need to do get
this feature working?

Another little nuisance is the fact that the gnome terminal has many
Alt-<char> key bindings.  Can I disable those so that I can send these
Alt-<key> combinations via ssh to my connected client?

TIA,
Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid