[lug] geeky remote control coolness with amaroK

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Fri Jul 1 09:41:31 MDT 2005

Alan wrote:

> amaroK is a really slick media player.

I agree.  I started using it a few months ago, after years and years of
XMMS, and never looked back.  It's got some way cool features-- things
you look at and say, "huh, why didn't anyone else think of that?". :)

> Now I can pause music easily when the phone rings (and not fumble
> around trying to find the right window on the right desktop and click
> on the proper button with my mouse).

I ran into this too, and used the KDE Hotkeys settings to map certain
actions to AmaroK.  I use the numeric keypad (since I don't normally
use those keys anyway) although laptops and many keyboards these days
have special keys for play, pause, etc.  The beauty of Hotkeys is you
can set up a DCOP call (just like the remote control) to send your
command to AmaroK no matter what desktop/window you're using at the
time.

Just another way to enjoy your music!

Jeff