[lug] Gnome Terminal Dynamically-set title problem

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jul 1 11:26:14 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 10:45, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> Perfect - thank you very much!  I am not bash skilled enough to find out why
> Michael's version didn't work.  It was missing the stripe alias - but I found
> that thanks to google.  However, the version of his prompt command didn't
> work for me - it just printed the command before my system prompt.

Probably missing the control sequences.  Someone else mentioned that you
needed to do "Ctrl-V" before embedding the control sequence, which is
correct.  I just copied and pasted - and didn't mention the Ctrl-V
requirements - and that always causes problems for people who use this
little bit of terminal magic.

I've uploaded a version that you can just load into your .bashrc or use
". settitle.sh" to use from the command prompt.  Oh, and I included the
missing stripe functions - sorry about that.  The advantage this has
over the bash specific ones is it should work in any sh, bash or ksh
environment.  At least I think it does.

http://www.graphics-muse.org/sw/settitle.sh

--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse                           Fair is Fair.