[lug] poorly behaved KDE apps

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jul 5 11:31:08 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:14 -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
> Today's candidate for "poorly behaved applications:" KDE bug reports.
>
> I tried to submit a report, it apparently formats a message and
> sends it off to KDE's mail server.
>
> Directly.
>
> To a server that's apparently configured to reject all email from
> cable modem users.
>
> Idiots.
>
> It's bad enough to be a poor netizen and contact email servers
> directly instead of going through the system's mail system
> (doesn't every mail server provide a version of
> /usr/[bin,sbin]/sendmail for applications to use?  Don't some ISPs
> and companies block all outbound port 25 traffic that isn't going
> to their mail server?), but to then configure the destination so
> it will then block mail from cable modem users?!
>
> I tried to go through their website, but my application isn't
> listed and they require you to select your application from the
> list.  I would figure this just means it's a third-party app, but
> if that's the case why are the bug reports getting shipped to KDE?

That *is* annoying.  If you're interested in getting around it, you
might try an outgoing firewall redirect rule (you can do it on the
machine itself), to point any packets heading to port 25 to your defined
mail server.  Mail clients rarely check, or care, that they aren't
talking to the mail server they asked for.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>