[lug] poorly behaved KDE apps

dan radom dan at radom.org
Tue Jul 5 11:58:36 MDT 2005

* Bear Giles (bgiles at coyotesong.com) wrote:
> Today's candidate for "poorly behaved applications:" KDE bug reports.
>
> I tried to submit a report, it apparently formats a message and
> sends it off to KDE's mail server.
>
> Directly.
>
> To a server that's apparently configured to reject all email from
> cable modem users.
>
> Idiots.

This isn't necessarily idiotic.  90% of cable modem users that send email
directly from their systems are worm infested windows systems.  The other
10% are running mail severs that they do relay off of.  If you want to
send email directly from your email server you should consider using your
MTAs smart relay / relay host feature and relay it off of your ISPs mail
servers.  When 80% of the million or more messages you process a day are
spam and you've devoted 80% of your entire service platform budget to
mail servers or outsourced mail services then this doesn't seem idiotic
to me.

All these percentages were pulled directly from my bu^H^H^H^H^H thin air, but
in my opinion very good comes directly from a MTA running on the end of
most cable modems.

dan