[lug] Bizarre behaviour? XTerm runs test program?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Jul 6 02:54:15 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:21:56PM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 17:05 -0600, Ted Logan wrote:
> > On 7/5/05, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> > > If you changed your path, it may have picked up the little program named
> > > test.
> >
> > Another compelling reason not to have . in your path; especially not
> > at the beginning.
> >
> > (Of course, this horribly confuses DOS old-timers.)
>
> Yes but they can get used to running ./test
> The other thing that confuses DOS old-timers is not being able to type
> dir/p or ls/r or ls-r.  Once they learn about shell aliases, though,
> watch out.
>
> However, there aren't any DOS old-timers left.  Where would they be
> hiding out?

Hark, you'd think ... there are a _lot_ of DOSers in the hardware market.
I once wrote a kernel driver for a LCD panel attached to the printer port
(used in firewall applications) that hat rather demanding timing constraints.
When i complained to the customer about not using the interupt line for
key events they claimed that the hardware manufacturer had a working sample
program. I had looked at the code: DOS/TurboPascal with a tight loop polling ....

 Cheers RalfD