[lug] Suggestions for Burn-In testing

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 15:08:14 MDT 2005

George Sexton wrote:

>I'm in the process of configuring a new server that will run SUSE Linux 9.3
>(already got it installed).
>
>I've run Memtest86 on it, but I was thinking about some sort of software
>that could do some disk write loading, and misc. stability tests. I'd like
>to be pretty confident the box is going to be stable before I spend the time
>doing the final configuration, and actually put it in production.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?

Personally, I believe kernel compiles are nice, especially if it is SMP.
You can use a semicolon to separate commands, and just issue a series of
make clean and make bzImage and make modules, over and over, till you
are satisfied. If it is SMP be sure to do something like setting $MAKE
to make -j3.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net