[lug] Samba or other non-Microsoft PDC ON Windows?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Fri Jul 8 10:12:51 MDT 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 04:12 pm, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 16:02 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> > I'm using KRUD/Fedora (mostly) and Windows XP Pro on a laptop where I need
> > be able to do demos and admin script development for customers. The
Windows
> > version of the product I support tends to get cranky if there isn't a
Primary
> > Domain Controller around for it to talk to, which makes setting up a
> > standalone environment a pain (especially since XP networks have a strange
> > habit of coming unstuck).
> >
> > There isn't a WinXP server option, and I'm not sure my laptop would
continue
> > to function properly if it got buried under a MS server installation
anyway.
> > Especially when all I want or need is the PDC functionality.
> >
> > Has anyone heard of any PDC implementation for Windows other than
Microsoft's?

> Not a Linux solution, but this is really slick: use VMware to set up a
> entire virtual network on your laptop.  If you have 1 GB or more RAM it
> works great.  You'll also need some kind of Windows licenses for the
> virtual machines, I suppose.
>
> I've been using Windows 2003 Enterprise on my VMware sessions just
> 'cause I can (MSDN subscription).  It works great.
> --
> Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>

This sounds interesting. Since I have a legal WinXP license for the laptop,
and I only really need one Windows instance, I should be ok. With some
moderate sneakiness I might be able to run Linux ClearCase clients against
Vobs on the Windows server, too. (I'm running bleedingedge KRUD and ClearCase
mvfs for the vob server can't runon the 2.6.1x+ kernels yet.)

Which flavor of the Vmware product line do you recommend for this?
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction