[lug] need rpm dev forum

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jul 12 20:33:26 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 20:04 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> I'm trying to create RPM packages and coming up with outdated
> information, or non-fedora/non-redhat info that doesn't work, or just
> plain broken information on the web. I can create a SRPM for my library
> just fine, only it won't build, and I'm getting frustrated with a lack
> of debug knowledge (too bad gdb doesn't work on rpm...I'd love to be
> able to have it give me a backtrace). Anyway, I can't use any of the
> comcast NNTP server, it would instantly result in another 500 spams per
> day, and they don't allow logging in with anything but the 1 primary
> account. Can anyone recommend a web-based forum where I can ask
> questions and get help creating RPMS on fedora? It just shouldn't be
> this hard.

Hi D.,

The Fedora Extras project has good packaging documentation at:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewPackageProcess
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines

If the software you want to package meets the FE guidelines (basically,
it has a compatible license and no patent issues), then you can submit
it for inclusion in FE and get help in the form of package reviews,
inclusion into CVS, etc.

And if your software does not meet the FE guidelines, then its still a
good idea to read an follow the FE docs since the process is the same.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307