[lug] need rpm dev forum

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 17:07:28 MDT 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I would think a question about rpms would be apropos of a linux user group
> mailing list such as this one :)

Well...what I'm trying to do is create an SRPM for a simple library
(.so) file. Running make creates lib/libMyLib.so.0.0.0 (version 0.0.0,
release 1). Running make install puts it in /usr/lib/libMyLib.so.0.0.0,
and creates sym links for libMyLib.so.0.0 and libMyLib.so.0 and
libMyLib.so. It also should have a devel rpm created which depends on
the lib, and installing devel will install a header file to
/usr/include/MyLib/MyLib.h.

Unfortunately, my spec file is failing. It creates an SRPM, but rpmbuild
--rebuild is broken in it. Mainly I'm trying to figure out how to do
this from i386 samples, not from SRPM samples, which is a problem. The
part which is failing though at this moment (there have been many parts
failing, I'm slowly weeding them out) is it is missing a directory.
There is in the spec file a temp directory, used in building, specified as:
BuildRoot:
%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

As far as I can tell, the %{_tmppath}/ exists, but then it is failing to
create the subdirectory
%{name}-%{version}

So, the temp file fails when it tries to cd to
%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}, although the %{_tmppath} portion is ok.

Next I fixed this by adding a mkdir in the %prep, but the script is
still failing to be able to cd here (presumably it is in the wrong
directory to start with, and was not in the %{_tmppath} before trying to
cd, or else it did not create the subdirectory before the attempt to cd
there, despite this being a "prep" section).

Is there anyone who would volunteer to be a guinea pig and let me email
the spec file for analysis? The library Makefile itself has a "make
tarball" to self-package that way, as well as a "make srpm". The library
is not done yet, but it works without warning and without bugs right now
(I plan on adding more features before releasing it). So far it should
compile without problem on FC2 through FC4 for anyone with g++.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net