[lug] Idea for ISPs to limit spam/zombies

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 17:26:06 MDT 2005

I was thinking about how many domains I can no longer email, due to
black hole lists marking my comcast servers as spam. It gets really
irritating to suffer because of someone else's zombie machine. An ISP
could block port 25 to anyone other than their own servers, but this is
the lobotomize approach, it isn't a real solution. So here's an idea I'm
wondering what people think of, especially anyone who does any kind of
email service...

In their configuration, such as web login pages to the ISP where the
non-commercial user can set email preferences, you have an item called
"unblock port 25/SMTP". If they check this, they are allowed to send to
any port 25 destination...if not then they can send only to the ISP's
SMTP port. In order to check this though, they *must* set a CC email
address at their ISP, and all outgoing mail to port 25 of any server
other than their own ISP's results in a copy of the email to this email
box. The named email box would have some limit on it like 10 MB, and if
it fills up, the port 25 block automatically re-activates. The user
would have to empty that email box before they could send again to
outside SMTP. As an option, perhaps they would also have to call the ISP
on the phone each time to get port 25 re-activated. Perhaps it would be
useful for the CC email account to also be reachable ONLY via web
interface, and it would present an image with a second password...it
would require a human to read the image in order to get into the account
and to delete emails, no automated deletion would work.

Should someone be infected by a virus or be an open relay, their email
account would fill up, and they would get a copy of everything they've
sent. The brakes would be applied when the account fills, and I'm
assuming a fill of around 10 MB. Non-commercial users could still send
anywhere, but they would be forced to watch how much traffic they are
sending out.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net