[lug] A challenge...

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Thu Jul 14 15:51:16 MDT 2005

> It says "Master Boot Record"
>
> >If I had a Fedora Core system with this problem, I'd boot it with the
> >rescue cd, then do a grub-install on the root of every drive to be safe:
> >
> >grub-install /dev/sda
> >grub-install /dev/sdb
> >etc.
Rather than using grub-install which is deprecated, try the
following.

>From the prompt after booting the grub floppy, type
$ grub
 and grub should run and give you a grub shell

grub>

type
grub> install (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0)
(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

(Thats all on a single line.)

The install (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) tells grub to
install stage1 on (hd0). I am assuming that your /boot
directory is on the 1st partition, if it is not edit
accordingly.

The (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 tells grub where stage2 is
located.

The p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst tells grub to use menu.lst
to setup a nice looking menu at boot time.

Stephen Queen