[lug] A challenge...

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Jul 14 23:37:52 MDT 2005

Gary Hodges wrote:
> I've been round-and-round with the following machine trying to install
> amd64 debian sarge.
>
> MB: Tyan K8WE
> CPUs: 2 x Opteron 244
> SCSI Controller:  LSI21320RB and another LSI U160 card (not simultaneously)
> Hard Drives:  Fujitsu U320 drives
> NIC: Older 3COM
>
> Knoppix boots and sees and runs everything.  I have at times gotten as
> far as successfully installing GRUB during the installation, but I get a
> "Operating System Not Found" error on the reboot.  I could get into more
The BIOS searched and did not find a recognizable boot record. The BIOS
search is misconfigured (check the BIOS'es boot device list) or the install
didn't correctly install the MBR. Actually this assumes the package was
trying to install to the MBR. Make sure there aren't any options set for
installing the boot record into a partition. IIRC FC 1/2 could install
to the partition, so maybe Debian can too.

Once you get the BIOS loading the MBR, grub config errors will give quite
different messages.