[lug] A challenge...

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Jul 15 09:32:02 MDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:17:32AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:

> >>Sometimes BIOS settings for LBA mode or not cause this. During install,
> >>I think fedora offers to use LBA mode or not (and usually the default is
> >
> >I've only seen LBA settings in the BIOS for IDE devices. Have you seen
> >this
> >for SCSI too?
>
> SCSI has always been smarter than IDE, and does not suffer many of the
> limitations of IDE. I don't think it is possible for the o/s and BIOS to
> disagree on the LBA mode of a SCSI disk, but I could be wrong there

I'm sure that's correct - since (IIRC) SCSI has always been addressed
via block number, rather than cylinder/head/sector.

I guess I'd try to do 3 things:

1) Verify the system BIOS has been told "you can boot from SCSI drive".
2) Verify the SCSI BIOS has been told the same thing (typically, you'll
   see a message from the SCSI adapter during boot-up, specifying a
   key combination to press to enter adapter configuration mode)
3) Use grub to write the stage1 file to the MBR of EVERY hard drive on
   the system. Yes, it's ham-handed, but I think it would solve the problem
   of not knowing which drive the BIOS was looking at for a boot record.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)