[lug] building SRPM's

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 18:37:19 MDT 2005

> Most of the other architectures besides x86 usually do get built by the
> buildd systems if the package maintainer doesn't upload binaries (or
> can't).
>
> I guess what I'm saying is... your dream is possible, if Debian can do
> it interally -- but it'd require a LOT of heavy iron, and the real
> problems would be building for different versions of different distros
> all on different gcc, glibc, yadda yadda yadda.  It'd have to be a
> pretty "smart" system.

Now here is an idea that is the poor man's version of this. People will
say if you want it then build it...but I don't have the knowledge (or
patience) to do so. Maybe someone googling though will see it and say
they want to do it. The idea is a new distribution (hehe, I can hear the
cackling now), that has no other purpose than to cross-compile and
package. It would come set up to build various architecture binaries
from sources, and to package for multiple distributions. E.G., it would
take a tarball and whatever specification you can get it (such as a spec
file or whatever debians use), ask what it needs to fill in missing
gaps, and then build and package the various architectures on multiple
distros. It could for example output rpm's for multiple versions of
Mandrake/Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, in i386, i686, athlon
architecture, so on.

Yes, it would be painfully difficult to create such a distro. But
imagine how useful such a distro would be if you could do all that with
1 spare machine.

> Buildforge - anyone?  ;-)

A cross-compiling/packaging distro could use a name like that :)

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net