[lug] need rpm dev forum

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:47:05 MDT 2005

Have you checked out rust on sourceforge?  It makes if very easy to
build RPMs.  There is a drag'n'drop gui and a backend script called
rust.  I used to in my last job to automate the buiding of dozens of
RPMs.  It was way easier to use than spec files, though it didn't let
me issue SRPMs, only binary RPMs.

Another option that I've had great success with is checkinstall
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/  If you have a makefile
with an "install" target checkinstall will build an rpm (or dep, or
slackware package) trivially.  I use it when I install software from
scratch so I can remove it easily, too.

Michael