[lug] rpm spec: ldconfig-symlink

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jul 18 15:53:35 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:

> With the soname set to libMyLib.so.0 (or to ANY other name, for that
> matter), there is NO way to qualm this error listing. At this point it
> is looking like there is some magic spec file directive/macro which is
> used to list sym links to associate with a file or library. If the sym
> link is created in any other way, rpmlint calls it an error. Does anyone
> know what directive to use in a spec file to associate the sym link
> libMyLib.so.0 to libMyLib.so.0.0.0? How do I get rpmlint to stop
> complaining about a missing sym link that is there?

Seems like you should treat rpmlint more like a tool to help you see and
think about your package and less like it has to always be "clean".
Perhaps that's why there's no documentation for it?  Or is rpmlint
somehow involved in the build process and stopping it?

Just wondering, I've seen numerous warnings on the Debian developer
lists over the years about "deblint will barf on X"... no one seems all
that concerned, people just eventually get around to hacking on it to
make it understand new situations.  (Not that shared libraries should be
something rpmlint doesn't know about already at this point in the
packaging tools games...)

Nate