[lug] rpmbuild and _unpackaged_files_terminate_build

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jul 18 19:54:02 MDT 2005

 > You either want to list these in a %files section for one of the
 > binary RPMs you are generating, or you want to:
 >
 > %define _unpackaged_files_terminate_build 0

A question on alternatives to this...

The tarball of source has a Makefile with a target "install". The
install target location can of course be changed to a different prefix,
but for a default, it uses /usr/local/. To make the install target
complete, I have it adding sym links in /usr/local/lib/. Unfortunately,
if the Makefile makes these sym links, then the rpm demands to either
have those files in the %files section, or else have this
%define _unpackaged_files_terminate_build 0

So...it seems I must either break the Makefile install target, and force
the user of a tarball to manually create all sym links...or I must tell
rpm to not terminate for unpackaged files. The problem with the latter
is that it would not terminate for other unpackaged files, and I just
want it to not terminate for the sym links. I've tried adding pre and
post and install commands to remove the sym links from the build root,
so that the files will not be present, but rpmbuild refuses to accept
this. Apparently rpm makes a list of all files created from make
install, and does not use the actual files found at the end of the rebuild.

So...is there either (a) a way to delete these installed but unused
files from the the build root to avoid the unpackaged item error, or (b)
is there a way to tell it to not terminate for specific unpackaged
files, or (c) is there a way to create a dummy target to get it to shut
up? If there is no way I will just turn off all unpackaged file
termination, but this seems drastic, there has to be a more conservative
and less hackish way to do it. I can feel the fingernails scraping
across the chalkboard as I consider turning off all unpackaged file errors.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net