[lug] library naming conventions, sym links

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 13:54:29 MDT 2005

> True, but I don't think that rpm is directly resposible for updating
> the links--that should be done by ldconfig.  The post-install script
> for the RPM is responsible for running ldconfig.  ldconfig is the
> command that should know how to (re)create the symbolic links.

ldconfig will ONLY update the link for the soname. Others must be
updated by ln -s. rpmlint will call it an error no matter what, there is
NO combination of links that rpmlint won't complain about (on FC4). I
was trying to find a way that rpmlint accepts, an there are none. So if
ldconfig and ln are the proper ways (in any combination), I have to
accept rpmlint saying they are all wrong.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net