[lug] library naming conventions, sym links

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Wed Jul 20 17:03:07 MDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 04:33:24PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> >Time to file a bug with rpmlint, I'd say.
>
> I wish it were that easy, but rpmlint is not part of the main Fedora,
> and does seem more closely related to Mandrake. I found a packager email
> address, and sent an email about another bug a while back to what
> *might* be the maintainer, but had no response. I don't think there is a
> bugzilla system set up for it, and the other bug is definitely worse (on
> gcc4 compilers it falsely dies not recognizing PIC code...I guess the
> ABI change in gcc4 breaks rpmlint's relocateable code detection).
> Anyway, rpmlint seems to be only partially maintained.

As MST said, "Let many flowers blossom." But some blossoms are more pleasing
than others, so maybe its time to switch distributions. I think I understand
your desire to learn how to package software in a way that is, for certain,
syntatically correct, but maybe the infrastructure just isn't there in this
flower.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net