[lug] Need Advice on Domain Registration Services

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Jul 22 10:29:45 MDT 2005

Bill Thoen wrote:
> My domain name is coming up for renewal soon and I was thinking of
> transferring it from Network Solutions to somebody else. The reason is
> that NS wants quite a bit more money than some of the other domain hosting
> services out there.
>
> I was thinking of transferring to GoDaddy, but before I do that, I'd
> thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any advice about this. If I pay
> Network Solutions $95 to renew my domain registration, do I get that much
> more in security, services, etc. than if I go with GoDaddy, who wants only
> about $9? Seems to me they both offer the same essential service, but I
> just wonder why NS charges ten times more that GD.
We've had good luck with BulkRegister, around 20 domains. Customer
service is pretty good through their web interface. They are oriented
more towards multiple domain holders as there is an annual membership
fee.

Make sure you get your DNS covered. Some registrars (such as BulkRegister)
include DNS service with the domain.