[lug] Need Advice on Domain Registration Services

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Jul 22 14:01:00 MDT 2005

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> My experience with GoDaddy has been pretty negative.  I used them for a
> few domains and SSL certs but was unimpressed with their customer
> service, *very* unimpressed with their web tools and interface, and
> generally felt like they proved once again that "you get what you pay
> for."

My problem is WAY out in the weeds, but it may be pertinent to
your decision.

My employer hosts several domains.  Some are paying, some are
associated with employees.  (I host my own domains elsewhere.)
Anyway, we're migrating our DNS servers from our own hardware to
Tummy.  (To be more precise we'll still run the master DNS server.
Tummy will be the public slave.)  All but one domain have updated
their whois information.

The holdout has been unresponsive.  Worse, the domain registration
was screwed up (or he changed it) and we're not listed as the
technical contact.  Who knows, maybe he didn't realize that it's
the guys who are responsible for his DNS servers, not a slam on
his skills.

I contacted GoDaddy's customer service and asked if they could
correct the records.  We're on the fricking record as providing
both of this DNS servers, send us mail at hostmaster so we can
verify that we're the ones who should be listed as technical
contact.  This should not be a problem, esp. in those cases where
the same person is listed as all contacts.[*]

They can't do that.

O-kay.  We're nice guys, we won't go dark.  Yet.  But when we do
this guy is up the creek since there's nothing we can do to update
this records.