[lug] pap authentication

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 27 16:54:25 MDT 2005

I'm setting up a couple machines so I can dial into them using ppp and
pap.  I have a few other machines doing the same thing, and I've tried
to replicate exactly those machines, but I've got something wrong.  To
make a connection I need a valid user with that user's username/password
in the pap-secrets file.  I'd prefer not to do it this way, i.e., I
don't want the add a user to the machine just to make a connection.
Reading man pppd it looks like I don't want the login option as that
uses the system password database for authentication.  In my
options.server file login is commented out.  Looking for suggestions.

Cheers,
Gary

psu-tsi:/etc/ppp# more options.server
-detach
default-asyncmap
modem
crtscts
lock
#login
proxyarp
require-pap
refuse-chap
10.0.1.5:10.0.1.1
noauth
#noauth option must be added for SuSE linux
#local:remote
#ms-dns aa.bb.cc.dd
#ms-dns ee.ff.gg.hh
#debug