[lug] Stale NFS File Handle

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Thu Aug 4 10:48:10 MDT 2005

Here's a good one for all the other Linux experts....

I just moved a bunch of data on my NFS server over to LVM2.  So we have
about 2 TB of data that lives in LVM and it's being served out via NFS.

So, the problem now is that some users are getting a "Stale NFS file
handle error" when using their data.  Their directories are mounted via
the automounter.  The problem seems to show up after a few minutes of
the directory being mounted via the automounter.

This problem seems random and intermittent (the best kind).

The NFS server is Fedora Core 4, although I'm running on an older
version of the kernel (2.6.9).

If anyone knows how to make that error message go away, I'd appreciate
knowing.

Dan Ferris