[lug] Questions on /dev

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at netscape.net
Mon Aug 8 17:12:25 MDT 2005

This is RedHat Enterprise WS.
Somebodies box wouldn't boot.  I brought it up on a rescue disk and found that /dev only had 4 entries:
initctl  log  null  /pts

Question 1:  Any Ideas as to how that could happen?

I copied /dev from a machine "as close as possible" to this one.
It errored on the mouse, Kudzu didn't come up to re-configure it.
So I unplugged and rebooted and replugged and rebooted - Kudzu noticed and fixed it.

The X11 server was dead - it asked to reconfigure the Monitor and managed OK.

The CDs ARE dead.  The hwbrowser shows:
Sony CD-RW CRX216E         scd0
Philips DVD+RW  DVD8601    scd1
/etc/fstab:
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev:
hda
hdb

I looked at the machine I copied from.  It has:
/etc/fstab:
/dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hda                /media/cdrecorder1      auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

/dev:
hda
hdb

I looked at another machine here:
/etc/fstab:
...same as above

/dev:     !!!This one has links for cdrom and cdrom1
cdrom -> hda
cdrom1 -> hdb
cdwriter -> hda
cdwriter1 -> hdb

So I created those same links and tried to mount /dev/cdrom
got:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Question 2:  Next step?

Question 3:  Kudzu - can I get that to run interactively from the command line or console.
If I plug in a new mouse and reboot, Kudzu comes up interactively and I can reconfigure the mouse.
But if I run kudzu from the command line, it gives no feedback, and it sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't.
Can I make it come up like when I reboot?

--
Gordon Golding
aka Golding the Younger DH70
gordongoldin at netscape.net
http://cslr.colorado.edu/beginweb/cgi-bin/gen_page.php?user=goldingg&&group=STF
303-494-5730
"If Love is Blind, why is lingerie so popular?"

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.